Sunday, November 01, 2009

discovering enjoyment in breastfeeding

Of all God's wonderful provisions for a healthy relationship between a mother and her child, breastfeeding is enduring and powerful. It's part of the natural physiological continuum. I have a window sticker on my car that sums it up:
"There's no milk like mum's milk."

Breastfeeding, like normal birth, is by no means an easy option - especially in the early days and weeks of a baby's life.

Recently I visited a new mother who was having difficulies feeding her baby, who was about two weeks old. She was expressing her milk, putting it into a bottle, and giving it as well as some of the artificial powdered stuff to the little bloke.

Today I received an email from that mother.

"I just wanted to write and say a huge THANK YOU for teaching me how to enjoy breast-feeding : )

"I no longer see it as a burden or as a scary thing, but something completely natural and wonderful. I've grown more confident with feeding [BABY] in public and am now keen to take him places with me so that he can explore the world outside! Thank you!

"I'm also looking forward to being able to help other mums in future breastfeed their babies."


In a few simple sentences this mother has told me everything I want to know about their progress. I don't know how often the feeds are, or how many times the new parents get up at night. But I do know that this mother-baby pair have discovered enjoyment in breastfeeding. What's more, the mother is looking forward to sharing this wonderful gift with her peers.

I feel priviliged to have had a small part in this new mother's beautiful transformation.

No comments: