Thursday, May 05, 2011

My presentation at the Virtual International Day of the Midwife webinar

I am terribly disappointed that I was unable to properly participate in the webinar today. The facilitator Carole took over and read from my .ppt notes. Thanks Carole! I don't know why my microphone failed me, but I could not get a response, no matter what I tried.



I would like to share some of the presentation with my blog readers.
Two of the topics included in the presentation, Midwife-blogger, and Vernix can be found at another blog that I write, http://privatemidwiferyservices.blogspot.com/

There were some great messages sent to the classroom. Here are examples of comments (without names of the writers) on Vernix, followed by general discussion on blogging:

Baby ColdCream

---------------------
Super moisturizer! If only we could market it!

---------------------
something i did not expect to see on my baby! it was quite a shock but it truly is a miraculous substance!

---------------------
When I was working near Mexico ALL the women in the birth room would wipe it off the baby and on their own faces :) So sweet

---------------------
good for the crow's feet!
---------------------

My last bub had it allon his back, eww! :) I think they wiped it off my hosp babies. :)


---------------------

I am a student and other midwifery students are able to use it [a blog] for learning.

---------------------
Thirst for knowledge

---------------------
Lisa's blog is how I found out about true midwifery practice
---------------------

It is a way for those who aren't yet apprenticing to be exposed to information that they may not be able to have a hands-on to yet.

---------------------
comments are really mini conversations on a blog

---------------------
I'm not a midwife yet, just going to become...But already thinking about a blog that can really help in my future practice. I'm from Belarus and homebirth here is not legal and not that popular yet. Hope to change this situation.

---------------------
It creates a feeling of community to discover that someone somewhere else is interested in similar things

---------------------
i found blogs to be the only way to uncover the real effect of the new legislations

---------------------
I found it interesting to read overseas blogs by midwives who stated they would never work in Aus because of the ongoing battle between medical and midwives.

---------------------
As students, blogs from practising midwives are excellent sources of "unconventional" learning. Dont ever stop!!

---------------------
Thank you for the lovely comments on your slides, I'll be a reader from now on, if I can find you;-)

---------------------
I learn so much from blogs

---------------------
i have always been intimidated by blogging... but now it really doesn't seem so bad!

---------------------
me too

---------------------


You see, even though I wasn't able to do my talk, the audience took over and made the best of it! Thanks to all who participated.

1 comment:

Joy Johnston said...

Thankyou everyone who participated so graciously in my presentation. I am looking forward to ongoing comment and discussion. If you write a blog, please let me know the url.
Joy