Sunday, May 15, 2022

How to Handle a Woman

You might recognise the title of this post as a song in the 1960 musical 'Camelot'.  In the 1960s, I doubt that many eyebrows would have been raised.  After all, in the '60s Australia a man's home was his castle.  If he 'handled' his wife in a rough or cruel way the police would not intervene.  In today's world police will respond to such a call, and provide what support they can and 'handle' the offending man.

Today's world is very different from the 1960s.

Today, when I saw the words 'How to Handle a Woman' as the title of the sermon in our Church, I reacted strongly.  Not happy!

In the world of 2022, when politically correct leaders are not prepared to define a woman as female-adult-human, I find 'how to handle a woman' offensive.  The thought of being handled!  Even as the message explained the wonderful truth that "Jesus loves his bride in the same way we ought to love others", I could not see past the unequal status implied in this title.  

All my adult life I have known the truth of Biblical principles, that "There is no longer Jew nor Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male or female, for all of you are one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28).  Just because it's clear doesn't mean it's followed.  Early Christians struggled with the racial issue (Jew/Greek); for centuries dominant cultures have given privileged position to one social-financial status over another (slave/free), and we Christians (some of us, at least) still have a problem with male and female.

People who read what I write will not be surprised that I am an admirer of all creation, especially the woman and infant.  When the work of creation was completed, God looked at what he had created and said it is good.  In midwifery I was frequently in awe of the mastery of systems in conception, pregnancy, birth and nurture of the child.  It IS good.

Good when systems are working to the design.

Good when not fiddled with, manipulated, interrupted.

Good when not feared.

 

Good, but not infallible.  Even the most healthy mother can be compromised.  Recognising that situation, and being able to take appropriate action is the essence of midwifery.

 


My husband Noel and I are in our 50th year of marriage.  We have both changed with time, and with the influences and experiences we have faced.  I am happy to record here that neither of us set out to 'handle' the other.  

  




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joy, thanks for the insight into the concept of handling a woman. I think your instincts are spot on. Language is power.... we need to take care how we use it.